Fidipote ruling house stakes claim to Awujale stool as Ogun Govt halts selection process
A fresh controversy has emerged over the succession to the vacant Awujale stool, following a formal notification by the Fidipote ruling house claiming entitlement to produce the next Awujale of Ijebu Ode.
In a letter dated December 17, 2025, and currently circulating widely, the Fidipote family informed the Ijebu Ode Local Government of its intention to step in, citing the alleged failure of the Fusengbuwa ruling house to present candidates within the stipulated 14-day period.
The letter was jointly signed by Oba Tajudeen Omotayo, the Olumope of Imope, and Omooba Tunde Aderibigbe, Secretary of the Fidipote ruling house. The family acknowledged that it was not originally their turn under the rotation arrangement but argued that the Fusengbuwa ruling house had forfeited its right by not complying with the timeline set out in a letter issued by the local government on December 2, 2025.
Referencing the Awujale Chieftaincy Declaration of 1959 and Sections 16 (1)(a–c) of the Ogun State Chieftaincy Law, 2021, the Fidipote ruling house maintained that the statutory 14-day window expired on December 16, 2025, without any candidate submission by Fusengbuwa. Consequently, it claimed that the right to present candidates had automatically shifted to Fidipote as the next ruling house in the order of rotation.
Based on this position, the family formally notified the local government of its readiness to present candidates and invited officials to observe its general meeting scheduled for Saturday, December 20, 2025, at the Fidipote Royal Hall in Ijebu Ode. The meeting, according to the letter, would allow eligible family members to indicate interest, undergo screening, vote, and select candidates whose names would be forwarded to the kingmakers in line with existing laws.
However, reacting to the development, a state government official said the letter would receive an official response, stressing that the process of selecting a new Awujale had not yet commenced from the government’s perspective.
In a related development, the Ogun State Government has nullified the ongoing selection process and directed the Fusengbuwa ruling house to restart the exercise in strict compliance with extant laws. The Vice Chairman of the Fusengbuwa ruling house, Prof. Fassy Yusuf, confirmed the directive, explaining that it followed a meeting convened by the state government to address procedural shortcomings.
The meeting, held on Tuesday, involved representatives of the Fusengbuwa ruling house, the Ijebu Ode Local Government, and the Awujale Interregnum Administration Committee, and was chaired by the Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, Hon. Ganiyu Hamzat.
The Awujale stool became vacant in July 2025 after the death of Oba Sikiru Adetona at the age of 91, ending his historic 65-year reign. Prior to the state government’s intervention, the Ijebu Ode Local Government had directed the Fusengbuwa ruling house—whose turn it is to produce the next Awujale—to submit candidates within 14 days. More than 60 princes reportedly indicated interest, and December 15 was initially fixed for a selection meeting.
Prof. Yusuf explained that the process was halted to prevent potential litigation arising from procedural errors. He noted that the earlier directive from the local government had been withdrawn and that a fresh process would begin once a new letter is issued.
“We have not forwarded any names to the kingmakers. The family will reconvene and strictly follow the guidelines provided by the government to avoid unnecessary court cases,” he said.
Commissioner Hamzat also confirmed the suspension of the exercise, describing it as a corrective step rather than interference. He explained that due process was not followed, as the ruling house is first required to notify the local government of its readiness, after which the Ministry of Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs authorises the commencement of the process.
According to him, the errors were understandable given that the Awujale stool had not been vacant for over 60 years. “Our goal is to ensure that the process is lawful, transparent and free from avoidable disputes,” he added.







