August 18, 2026
NEWS

Wike Knocks Ireti Kingibe

….Says ‘She Has Failed, Electoral Loss Awaiting Her’

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Barr. Nyesom Wike, has rejected calls for a closer working relationship with Senator Ireti Kingibe over measures to tackle flooding and regulate development in Abuja, accusing the senator of failing to use her position in the National Assembly to address the challenges confronting residents of the capital.

Wike spoke on Tuesday, after inspecting flood-affected areas in Maitama, Abuja, where he also ordered the demolition of structures found to be obstructing designated water channels.

Responding to a question on Kingibe’s call for greater cooperation between her office and the FCT Administration, Wike said he was not appointed to work with one particular individual but with all stakeholders in the interest of the Federal Capital Territory.

“If she knows that there’s a problem, she’s the one who makes the law. National Assembly is our own House of Assembly. Why should she every time, ‘working with her, working with her, working with her’?” Wike asked.

“I was not appointed to work with only one particular person. I work with everybody.”

The minister accused the senator of resorting to media appearances rather than using her legislative position to push for solutions to problems affecting her constituents.

He challenged Kingibe to identify bills or legislative initiatives she had sponsored to address flooding and other challenges confronting residents of the FCT.

“Go and talk to the people! Tell them what you are doing in the National Assembly! Tell them the bill you have proposed for the benefit of the residents of Abuja,” Wike said.

He added that legislators should demonstrate their impact through debates, legislation and engagement with their constituents rather than relying on television appearances.

“As a legislator, for example, I represent the people. They must see you talk on the floor as per their own interest. They must see you propose a bill that will enable them to survive,” he said.

Wike further suggested that Kingibe’s criticism of the FCT Administration was linked to the approaching election, claiming that she had “almost lost” the contest and was seeking to regain public support.

“I don’t blame her now, because she has almost lost the election. All she’s doing next is to see whether she can get the people,” he said.

The minister maintained that criticism from political opponents would not change the administration’s approach to enforcing development regulations.

“You have done nothing, and the people know you have done nothing. Even if you like, criticise. As far as this flooding is concerned, the people have made up their mind that you failed,” he said.

Wike also categorically denied allegations that the FCT Administration had allocated designated waterways to politicians for the construction of estates.

He challenged anyone making such allegations to provide evidence of a specific water channel allegedly allocated to a named politician.

“I want to deny categorically that this administration allocates water channel way for people to go and develop,” he said.

According to Wike, individuals making such claims were not in a position to determine which locations constituted waterways under the Abuja Master Plan.

“You cannot determine which area is a water channel to FCT. You cannot determine for us! You don’t know the master plan more than us!” he said.

He described blanket claims that waterways had been allocated to politicians as incorrect and challenged critics to produce documentary evidence.

“If anybody has one, come out with it to prove to Nigerians, ‘This is a water channel way, and it has been allocated to Mr. Z, and approved for Mr. Z to build something,’” Wike said.

“Not just to go and make a blanket statement, ‘Anything now, allocated to politicians.’ Who are the politicians? Do they have no name?”

The minister also appealed to critics and political actors to distinguish between constructive criticism and what he described as politically motivated attacks.

Wike said the flooding experienced in some parts of Abuja was not a new development, pointing to areas such as Lokogoma and Yakubu Gowon Crescent where flooding had occurred repeatedly over the years.

“Lokogoma flooding has been happening there year to year; it’s been happening,” he said.

He also recalled that Yakubu Gowon Crescent had experienced flooding for years despite being constructed by Julius Berger.

“Each time, it floods. People will shut their eyes and say that the flooding started yesterday on that road,” Wike said.

The minister urged Nigerians to offer constructive criticism capable of helping government identify and resolve problems rather than using flooding as a political weapon.

“Please, do us well and do the nation well by giving positive criticism, not political criticism that you think will help you to win an election that you cannot win,” he said.

Wike maintained that the government would proceed with the demolition of structures obstructing water channels, regardless of the political status of their owners.

He warned against attempts to portray the enforcement action as targeted at political opponents.

“So, I hope now that we have started to demolish, you won’t cry to say, ‘Oh, it’s against a political opponent,’” he said.

“If you are my political opponent, did I say you should go and block the water channel? I didn’t tell you to go and block the water channel.”

The minister said the administration welcomed genuine observations from residents and stakeholders who drew attention to problems requiring government intervention.

“We appreciate those who have made valuable comments, positive comments that is the essence of governance, calling attention,” Wike said.

He reiterated that the FCT Administration would continue to enforce planning regulations and address environmental challenges confronting Abuja, insisting that political considerations would not determine the government’s actions.

Related Posts