May 24, 2026
NEWS

Labour Party says it Is ‘Liberated’ by Peter Obi’s defection…seeks forgiveness from Nigerians

The Labour Party has described the defection of its 2023 presidential candidate, Peter Obi, to the African Democratic Congress (ADC) as a liberation for the party, while apologising to Nigerians for fielding what it termed an “unfitting” candidate in the last general election.

In a strongly worded statement issued on Tuesday by its National Publicity Secretary, Obiora Ifoh, the party said it had long parted ways with Obi and some of his supporters, insisting that his exit only formalised an existing political divorce.

The party leadership said it had taken note of Obi’s declaration at an ADC coalition event in Enugu, which it dismissed as lacklustre and uninspiring, questioning what new ideas he intends to offer Nigerians.

According to the statement, the Labour Party and Obi had effectively gone separate ways since September 2024, following internal disagreements that led to the suspension of several lawmakers accused of anti-party activities. The party claimed it had patiently awaited Obi’s exit and now considers it a blessing.

“It will be on record that the leadership of the Labour Party had urged Peter Obi and his disgruntled followers to exit the party if they were unable to work with the leadership,” the statement said, adding that Obi himself would have faced disciplinary action if not for the intervention of some “well-meaning Nigerians.”

The party further accused Obi and Abia State Governor, Alex Otti, of sponsoring an alleged insurrection against the Julius Abure-led national leadership, describing them as the architects of the party’s prolonged crisis. It expressed surprise that Governor Otti, who it said had been suspended, had not followed Obi out of the party.

Labour Party also downplayed the significance of the ADC event in Enugu, claiming it was largely boycotted by prominent political and traditional institutions in the South-East. It alleged that those in attendance were political “spent forces” with little grassroots influence, warning that Obi’s renewed presidential or vice-presidential ambition was already a “failed project.”

The party went on to blame Obi for the South-East’s perceived marginalisation under the administration of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, arguing that the region suffered politically for supporting him in the 2023 election. It cited what it described as limited ministerial appointments and continued marginalisation in infrastructure allocation as evidence.

In a rare admission, the Labour Party apologised to Nigerians for its choice of candidate in 2023, saying hindsight had shown it made a grave political error.

“We plead for forgiveness from Nigerians,” the statement said. “We are already working out the best prospect that we hope will bring Nigeria back to its glorious days.”

The statement signals a deepening rift between the Labour Party leadership and its former flagbearer, as Nigeria’s opposition space undergoes fresh realignments ahead of future elections.

Related Posts