April 22, 2019
NEWS

Court Frees Two Boko Haram Suspects

A Federal High Court sitting in Abuja on Wednesday discharged two suspects who had been arraigned for alleged ties with Boko Haram insurgency.

The suspects were discharged due to lack of diligent prosecution by the government.

While discharging the defendants, Justice Binta Nyako said that Ibrahim Ahmed had been in detention since 2013, while Sani Argungu had been detained since 2012 without the case proceeding to trial.

The judge blamed it on the failure of the government to call any of its witnesses adding that the defendants could be re-arraigned whenever the prosecution was able to get its witnesses to attend court.

“The defendants have been in custody with no trial because the prosecution cannot bring its witnesses to court. So, I discharge the defendants and the suit is hereby struck out,” she said.

She added that the defendants, although discharged, would be monitored and warned them not to associate with any person of questionable character.

Ibrahim, in his statement, confessed that he was a security guard at the government house in Sokoto.

He was arraigned for allegedly giving passage to Boko Haram members.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *